In music, a grace note is a note that is held for a brief moment...barely touched on the piano. "Grace Notes" seems like a fitting name for this blog. Our lives changed when I carried our daughter, Grace, for 9 months only to hold her (in my earthly opinion) for a brief moment. She lives in heaven with her Savior. If only that comfort, that sure hope we have, would take away the pain of missing her.

"As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things." Ecclesiastes 11:5

We are always thankful for Grace.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I Will Smile So That You Will Feel Better

 
Throughout this process I continue to learn many things. I wonder why I feel or act a certain way towards some. I wonder why I can be "Wendy" with a chosen few. I also wonder why others act a certain way toward me. A couple of years ago I read some words from someone that gave me a glimpse into the minds of others. I realize that just because one person feels a certain way doesn’t mean that everyone does. Keep in mind that just because I react one way to something someone says or does, doesn’t mean that I feel this way toward everyone. My reactions are different with each individual.

After Grace died, I’ve had a very difficult time seeing smiles on the faces of others…especially from those who know that we lost a daughter. (I've come to realize that just because they "know" our daughter died, they don't "know" how different life has become.) It's been difficult giving grace to others, especially when I don't have Grace. Back to the smiles...This was especially difficult to see only days and weeks after our lives changed. (It continues to be difficult, at times, even today.) I couldn’t understand how people could come up to me with smiles on their faces (to me, their smiles were overwhelmingly HUGE), talk about "nothing"…or should I say, talk about anything but Grace, and act as though nothing happened. In a way, nothing did happen…to them. Our lives changed…not theirs. Now they’re left to wonder why we’ve become so different.

We begin to "paint" smiles on our faces, because it seems as though that’s what we’re expected to do…smile. We’re Christians and sometimes it feels like we’re not supposed to hurt or struggle. My mom was asked by her pastor how she was doing. Dad died about 2 months before Easter and she said something like, "Not so good, " or "It’s been difficult." His reply was, "Christ is risen!" Yep, we know that, but believing that doesn’t make us feel any better or take away one ounce of the pain that we feel as we miss our loved ones. I’ve become too afraid to say anything to some because of the response I may or may not receive.

Someone gave me an analogy to try explaining why we’ve been avoiding one another. She wrote "… how many times will someone smile at someone before they stop because they don't get the same response back…Perhaps that is what I struggled with, expecting something in return." That analogy got me thinking…We don’t want to see others in pain. When we do, we try to fix it. We want them to feel better. We want to take their mind off what hurts them. We want them to think that we know exactly how they must feel. Notice all of the "we wants". Grief is not about "you". I don’t even know if it’s about "me". I continue to struggle with the expectations that others have of me after losing a child...especially when my expectations were to have a child.

I’ve done this so many times, too. I’ve smiled at someone who’s hurting, and if they smiled back I thought, "Good, they’re smiling. They must be o.k. If they’re in church today…appearing to be holding up, they must be 'better'." I never realized, until Grace died, just how difficult it is to be such a good liar.

A friend put it this way, "Eventually you get sick of living a lie." She also lives with a child in heaven. There came a point early on when I just stopped looking at others. If we didn't actually "see" each other we could pretend that the other wasn’t there. I didn’t have to see their smile, and they didn't have to approach me. (It was just too awkward for everyone.) It can be difficult seeing other’s joy…especially when it comes naturally. That used to be me, too.

That first year was filled with learning how to process everything...I'm still learning how to process in our 3rd year. No matter what someone would say to me, I would usually take it the wrong way. If they said something well-meaning yet very hurtful, I'd say nothing and save the meltdown for later...making a note in my mental notebook to avoid them from now on because they're not "good" for me.

I even came to a point where I wouldn't smile at others. That’s what everyone wanted to see, and when they saw Wendy smiling, she must be approachable today. It feels like everyone's holding their breath waiting for Wendy to be over it. I remember someone approaching me one day and commented, "I see a smile on your face today." My response was, "I bought a new can of paint." Then I walked away.

Grief is definitely a constant process. Every moment of every day is unpredictable...even years later. I continue to be thankful for the experience God has blessed our family with...no matter how much I continue to hurt and struggle. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some might think that we've fallen off the face of the earth. I don't remember ever being good at keeping in touch with others. Calling, writing, or sending cards hasn't been my strongest point. We've felt it was necessary to stay hidden behind our hill the last 2 years. It's how we have been able to survive...to somehow keep going when our summer plans drastically changed in May '10. Bob has always had the God-given knack for building things. He amazes us with his talent. I've built plenty of walls inside of myself without a hammer and nails...walls that need to come down. The only way I feel that I can do that is by writing. My mind goes blank when I try to talk...so many thoughts and no way of putting those thoughts into words except on paper.

Grief is such an unpredictable roller coaster ride of emotions. Everyone means well...we know that. We all want to say or do the right thing...some do, some don't. Some aren't able to overcome the awkwardness of being around someone whose baby died. We make others too sad, so it's just easier for them to stay away...easier for them. The subject is avoided and that has been more devastating for me than watching Grace die in my arms. Again...everyone means well. In the past, I've avoided others using the same poor excuses we have often heard, "I didn't want to upset you," "I don't want to make you cry," I didn't know what to say." Pretending it didn't happen doesn't work. Acknowledgement means everything. Seeing silent tears from a friend standing off to the side meant more to me than listening to the thoughtless chatter of someone who felt it was better to say something rather than nothing. That probably doesn't make sense, but many things on this earth don't.

Nothing I say is meant to hurt or blame anyone. I don't talk much about our daughters who we get to share our lives with. They are not my struggle. Life after Grace is, at times. I don't talk much about the loving support we have received either. I need to talk about the things that cloud my head...the things that keep the walls up. This isn't about me or anyone else. It's about how I can glorify God through this.

We no longer try to wrap our minds around God's plans for us. We just trust Him...and it's not easy. Our faith continues to be refined every day. For that, we are thankful.

What I share here will be difficult. I don't open myself up to many. I'm too afraid of what others will say or won't say. Maybe this will give others a better understanding of what goes on inside my head. If you think you've figured me out, please let me know, because I'm still trying to understand me.

As I just said, I want to glorify God through this. I want others to see that side of me. Some do and many don't. I continue to have a difficult time rejoicing on the outside, but I do. I have joy and peace but it is no longer the unquenchable joy and peace we long to find here on earth. My joy is found in the sure hope of heaven...the sure hope of seeing our loved ones again as we continue to miss them. It's difficult surviving someone that we imagined sharing our lives with. Thankfully, Grace shared her entire life with us, and we know without a doubt, that she lives in heaven with her Savior.